Date: Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th May 2017
Time: 10am – 6pm
Venue: London Zoo
Special Children’s Day is a unique annual event at ZSL London Zoo welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children’s Day is an event not to be missed.
Entry tickets are available for purchase via the ZSL website. We strongly advise booking early to avoid disappointment.
Sensory Tours hosted by Daytrippers
Daytrippers is a proud Partner of Special Children’s Day and has been since 2008. We believe it is an exceptional event and have made annual donations contributing to the running costs of the events at London and Whipsnade Zoo. In 2017 and 2018 we are committing further funds to also cover the cost of additional mobility aids, BSL interpreters, additional ZSL staffing, sensory equipment, First Aid and personal care supplies.
Furthermore, we host private sensory tours which aim to provide children with visual impairments an inclusive opportunity to learn and explore at the zoo. The sensory and interactive experience includes touching small live animals such as Giant African Snails and animal skins, as well as preparing meals (enrichment) for animals such as Lemurs and Meerkats.
Sensory tours take place on the Saturday and Sunday at 11am, 12 noon (BSL interpreted), 2pm and 3.30pm. Each tour lasts for up to 45 minutes and up to 7 children and young people may participate.
If you have purchased Special Children’s Day tickets and would like to book a place onto a sensory tour please download and complete a booking form below and return it to Daytrippers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Daytrippers, 36 Great Pulteney Street, London W1F 9NS.
- Word version: Sensory Tour 2017_London Zoo_Booking Form
- PDF version: Sensory Tour 2017_London Zoo_Booking Form
Other Highlights at Special Children’s Day
- A Very Special Welcome: Our staff and volunteers will be ready to greet you at the dedicated Special Children’s Day entrance. Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner. There are friendly animal-costumed characters to meet too!
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne & Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games. Shows are free and run throughout the day
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home, or build a mini-beast hotel to attract wildlife to your garden
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world. Shows are free and run throughout the day
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the naturlal world with our hands-on activities
- LIVE! talks: Our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the weekend
- Animal Adventure: Meet some of our fantastic animals and Keepers, get close up and hands on in the ‘Touch Paddock’, or play in the splash zone, secret garden and tunnels.
- Art Zone: Get creative with our fun family art activities
- Charity Hub: An onsite hub where charities will be on hand to offer guidance, advise and networking opportunities for families
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere to take a break from all the excitement!
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- Additional facilities, including changing hoists and bed, and a reserved picnic area for Special Children’s Day families
- Dedicated first aid & lost children’s post with qualified staff
- Free all day parking for blue badge holders in the main ZSL car park