DATE: Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th May 2016
VENUE: ZSL London Zoo
The Special Children’s Day at London Zoo is a unique annual event targeted at children and young people with special needs and their families. Daytrippers proudly co-sponsors the event, funding additional activities such as sensory touch tours, resources and facilities.
This year families benefited from discounted entry into the Zoo and participated in interactive events and talks. Additional staff were present to offer help and support, and there was access to specialist equipment such as hoists and improved toilet facilities.
“It was such a special event” says Tracey (parent)
- Singing Hands: Suzanne and Tracy introduced the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games.
- Wildlife Gardening: Children planted seeds and took them home to grow.
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about animals.
- Discovery Zone: Inquisitive children investigated the natural world with hands-on activities.
- LIVE! talks: Amazing animal talks accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters.
- Art Zone: Children and young people kept busy with art activities.
- Land of the Lions: Families explored the new Indian themed home of the Asiatic Lions.
Daytrippers staff and volunteers were excited to welcome children and young people to our private sensory touch tours in the ‘Rainforest Life’ enclosure. Zoo Keepers took groups on an explorative journey seeking Sloths, Monkeys, Spiders and more. Then in a private learning space, children and young people had an opportunity to touch Giant African Snails, animal skins and prepare meals for the animals. The Lemurs and Otters were especially pleased with the children’s hand prepared cuisines. We are quite sure we met some future Zoo Keepers in the making.
One of the parents shared “M loved the touch tour, thank you so much for including us. He particularly liked touching the giant Snail and Cockroach! He also loved making the enrichment toy for the Lemurs and then taking them into the enclosure with all the Lemurs gathering round. It was the highlight of our day.”
Our brilliant Daytrippers Ambassadors – Joshua and Adam fed the Giraffes, making it a truly exceptional day. We hear that Giraffes were very appreciative and applauded the Ambassadors feeding skills.
Our wonderful Daytrippers volunteers – Jerene, Cristina, Susana, Maggi and Christopher had a wonderful time meeting children, young people and their families at the Charity Hub. We had free giveaways, animal activity sheets, cuddly toy competitions and shared information about opportunities with Daytrippers.
If you missed out, don’t worry… ZSL Whipsnade Zoo are hosting a Special Children’s Day on Saturday 18th June 2016.
Photographs from the day: