Date: Saturday 17th June 2017
Time: 10am – 6pm
Venue: Whipsnade Zoo
Special Children’s Day is a unique annual event at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as special interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children’s Day is an exciting not to be missed.
Entry tickets are available for purchase via the ZSL website. We strongly advise booking early to avoid disappointment.
Sensory Tours hosted by Daytrippers
Daytrippers is a proud Partner of Special Children’s Day and has been since 2008. We believe it is an exceptional event and have made annual donations contributing to the running costs of the events at London and Whipsnade Zoo. In 2017 and 2018 we are committing further funds to also cover the cost of additional mobility aids, BSL interpreters, additional ZSL staffing, sensory equipment, First Aid and personal care supplies.
Furthermore, we host private sensory tours which aim to provide children with visual impairments an inclusive opportunity to learn and explore at the zoo. The sensory and interactive experience includes touching small live animals such as Giant African Snails and animal skins, as well as preparing meals (enrichment) for animals such as Lemurs and Meerkats.
WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPCOMING SENSORY TOUR INFORMATION AND TIMES.
Other Highlights at Special Children’s Day
- A Very Special Welcome: Pick up your Special Children’s Day planner. There are friendly animal-costumed characters to meet and our staff and volunteers will be at hand to assist you as your fun day gets underway!
- Singing Hands: Meet Suzanne & Tracy in person as they introduce you to the amazing world of animals through Makaton themed signs, songs, rhymes, stories and games
- Wildlife Gardening: Plant a seed to take back with you and grow at home, or build a mini-beast hotel to attract wildlife into gardens
- Sensory Storytelling: Immersive and interactive stories about the natural world
- Hands on Habitats: Investigate the natural world with our hands-on activities
- LIVE! talks: Our amazing animal talks will be accompanied by British Sign Language interpreters throughout the day
- Art Activities: Get creative with our fun family art activities
- Hullabazoo indoor play
- Charity Hub: charities will be on hand to offer guidance, advise and networking opportunities for families
- Chill Out Room: Somewhere to take a break from all the excitement!
- Fantastic new Visitor Centre and shop!
- Additional friendly staff and volunteers on hand to assist
- Additional facilities, including changing hoist
- First Aid post with fully qualified staff
- Free all day parking in the main ZSL car park (only a short walk from the main Zoo entrance)